[MPlayer-users] subtitle problems

MJH mjhlists-mplayer at liminalflux.net
Thu Mar 10 20:01:31 CET 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 1:43 pm, Robert Henney wrote:

> > However, as of about a month ago I've been having problems with subtitles
> > not showing up on almost every DVD (both with mplayer and mencoder).
> > There have been a couple of exceptions, which means it's not entirely
> > broken, but it's very frustrating as I don't speak enough japanese to
> > watch anime without the subtitles. (It's not just anime I see the problem
> > on though).

> Are you saying that on some of your DVD's the subtitles will always work
> and on other DVD's the subtitles can't be found, or enabled, to the
> effect that they end up not appearing at all?

I have one where they always work. I have several where they don't show up at
all.

> Or are you saying that on some DVD's not every subtitle will appear but some
> will?

I have one where only some of them seem to, but I didn't look at the subtitles
on that one before running into this issue (as it's in my native language),
so I don't know if it's just badly subtitled or if it's a real problem with
that DVD.