[MPlayer-users] tv recording - newbie questions

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 23:05:36 CET 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 12.16, Mauro Condarelli wrote:

> Hi all,
> I "just" want to record some late night tv program in order to be able
> to see it next day.
>
> My hardware is a decent intel D865GBF motherboard with on-board i810
> audio and a (quite old) Hauppage WinTV (bt878-based). Speed shouldn't
> be a problem (2.8G), I have 1G Ram and plenty (>>500Gb) of HD space.
> Distribution is Debian Sarge.
>
> I managed to do basic recording using the following:
>
> amixer set Line 90% mute cap
> mencoder tv://Rai_1 -tv
> driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:norm=PAL:chanlist=italy:alsa:
> quality=60:width=640:height=480 -noskip -o /export/ttt/test.avi -oac
> mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 -vf pp=lb
> amixer set Line 0% mute nocap

When I had a PC with a BT848 card in it, this was the line I used:

mplayer -tv
device=/dev/video:driver=v4l:input=1:width=320:height=240:norm=ntsc:
adevice=/dev/dsp tv://1 -zoom -aspect 4:3

Of course, since I use NTSC and you use PAL, you'll probably want to
make a few modifications. It's the adevice line that I use.