[MPlayer-users] invalid VBR header. help, please

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Mon Mar 14 08:45:02 CET 2005

Hello!

The solution is very simple: Instead of using VBR (variable bitrate) for
audio, simply use CBR (constant bitrate). -- Then it works.

The problem is that MP3 - when vompressed with VBR - can only be cutted in
full MP3 block junks, and they are big.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Mauro Condarelli wrote:
| REAL PROBLEM STARTS HERE
|
| I tried to remove the embedded commercials using avidemux.
| So far so good.
| I followed instructions (recompute vbr and enable "smart copy") and I
| ended up with no errors and a file with the right video, but a huge
| (>>10s!!)  audio/video desynchronization.
| I then opened the same (original) .avi with virtualDub and it
| immediately complained:
| ================================
| VBR audio stream detected.
| VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI
| file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during
| processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 12848 ms
| of skew from the video source. If this is unacceptable, decompress the
| *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a
| consant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 130.4 +- 14.6 kbps)
| ================================
| End results (after commercial removal) are almost as bad as avidemux ones.
| What should I do?
| I understand I have better to leave VBR alone when encoding (shouldn't
| the manual warn against using VBR?), but how can I salvage this recording?
|
| TiA
| Mauro

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |