[MPlayer-users] subtitle problems

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Thu Mar 17 16:16:05 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:15:16AM -0500, MJH wrote:
>  Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > > Yes, I've seen those. I've seen a couple DVD where such an odd timestamp
> > > would come in the middle and show for example 00:00:00:001, breaking all
> > > subs after it. Assuming mencoder read it correctly from the DVD, it
> > > simply means that the DVD is badly mastered. Remove or correct that first
> > > timestamp to a sane value and all will be fine.
>
> Removing the errant index entry did indeed remove the problem. There must be a
> way to do that in code so you don't have to do it by hand though.
>
> In the mean time, is there a way to get the subtitles back into the ripped
> video? (I hunted through the docs but couldn't find anything). Or do you have
> to keep video, sub and inx files around?

You can render permanently the subs in the video stream adding
the option -sid to mencoder (you need to reencode the video, -oac copy wont work).
This works if your source is a DVD. If you have an external vobsub file
you need to patch mencoder (there is a patch flying around).
For text subtitles, I think it's not possible.

Giacomo