[MPlayer-users] compiling on FC4 ppc test

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Sat Mar 19 05:05:05 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 21:22, Bret Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 18:18, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Friday, 18 March 2005 at 07:24, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > > I am experimenting with a mac mini and trying to get hardware decoding
> > > of high res(1024X768) mpeg2 video working.  After dinking with the OS X
> > > side for a while (almost maxes the cpu about 97%) and FC3 ppc (100% cpu
> > > usage) I thought I would try FC4 test1 but I can't get it to pass the
> > > compiler test during configure.
> > >
> > > I am trying 1.0pre6a dled tonight.  The Changelog mentions that there
> > > are gcc 4 fixes but the test in the configure script doe not include any
> > > 4x compilers. Should this work or still too new?  I can't seem to build
> > > a search for the archives that will find references to gcc version 4
> > > without too much chaff with the other gcc references.
> >
> > AFAIR you have to manually specify the compiler and disable gcc checking
> > for the time being. And I think you'll be better off using latest CVS
> > snapshot. A lot of fixes went in recently.
> >

> Thanks for the feed back.  I'll get the cvs now and see what I need to
> do to specify the compiler.  I did not realize in reading the configure
> script that a version could/should be specified.
>
> If you know the command line off the top of your head, I would
> appreciate your posting it for me and those that follow.
>
> Thanks again,

Well I got further with cvs than I did with pre6a but the compile still
fails.  Any one know how to compile mplayer on a ppc machine with Fedora
4 test1?

I had it running on fedora 3 but I could never get hardware decoding to
work.  I was also having problems with dri support so I figured an
upgrade might increase my chances that the radeon 9200 would work for
both.  I am most interested in mplayer and hardware decoding of mpeg2
files though.  A fairly high res file (1024 x 768) that plays back with
about 60% cpu usage on fc1 on a m10000 (1GHz) epia mini itx box chews up
100% of the cpu on the mac mini at 1.25 Ghz and risc based at that.  I
assumed (yeah I know) that the ppc platform would be faster or at least
the same but slower?  Got to be the difference in the video hardware and
maybe the unichrome is better at decoding the Mpeg2 stuff.

Still looking for solutions if anyone has a clue.

TIA

Bret