[MPlayer-users] mac-osx..works well? whatabout "binary" codecs?

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 16:11:18 CET 2005

On Mar 21, 2005, at 02.46, Gábor Farkas wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm planning to switch from my i386 laptop to a powerbook..
>

> how well does mplayer run on apple hardware?
Perfectly fine. And I'm running an iBook, so you'll have a leg up on
me. As far as hardware goes, exception to CPU, Macs and PCs have
essentially the same guts.

> can he play for example wmv files?
No WMV9 file compatibility yet. But, that's true with *all* versions of
MPlayer. If you watch a lot of WMV files, it's probably a good idea to
keep a copy Windows Media Player for Mac on hand, thought I wouldn't
trust it with any other kind of files. WMV8 and earlier, I think, do
work. At least, I think it's WMV8.
> (i know that a lot of them can be played now with ffmpeg, but not all
> of them...can perharps mplayer somehow load mac-osx "binary" drivers)
>
> thanks,
> gabor
Quick bit of advice: Do *NOT* use the precompiled Mac binary files
you'll find with the MacMPlayer web site. They're terribly out of date,
you're better off compiling it yourself. Though feel free to borrow the
GUI front-ends for MPlayer and MEncoder if you want.