[MPlayer-users] Newbie? Playing DVD's on Mplayer

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Mar 21 22:54:49 CET 2005

On Monday 21 Mar 2005 1:02 am, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:09:18AM +0000, nigel henry wrote:
> > Hi folks. I'm trying to get Mplayer set up to play DVD's. It will play
> > sound files ok. .ogg, .wav, .mp3. But no matter what I try I can't get it
> > to play my DVD's. DVD ROM drive is Asus DVD-ROM DVD-E616P 0104 CDU5211.
> > Video Card: Rage 128 RL/VR AGP.  Sound Card: Ensoniq ES1371 [Audio
> > PCI-97] Driver ES1371. There is no problem with the DVD ROM drive it
> > plays fine on the same machine using Win ME and the Asus software. This
> > is on FC1, Kernel
> > 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl. Sound: OSS. I've set the video options to use VIDIX
> > driver which the manual says is for the Rage 128 card, but am very
> > confused about codecs. This is for playing PAL DVD's. The file name for
> > the DVD I tried is .VOB, but when I click on any of the files on the DVD
> > the Mplayer screen turns black and then reverts to the Mplayer screen.
> > Like Zilch. Any help to not have to use Win ME to play DVD's would be
> > very gratefully appreciated. Nigel.
>
> Read the documentation. You can't just play .vob files from the dvd.
> You have to use a command line of the form mplayer dvd://titlenumber
> where titlenumber is replaced by whatever title on the dvd you want to
> play. Usually it's 1 (or sometimes 2 or 3) for movie dvds, but
> sometimes you have to experiment until you find the right one, or look
> for a program that will dump the names and lengths of all titles on
> the dvd for you.
>
> Rich

Hi Rich. Thanks for the help. Tried the command line, but it didn't want to
open the DVD drive. But tried playing some Simpsons episodes, .mpg and .avi
and just happened to right click on the screen while they were playing, and a
menu popped up with open DVD on it. As I still had the DVD in the drive I
went for it and it played like clockwork. I do think it would be nice to have
a nice little HOW-TO for the sake of those migrating from Windows to Linux to
show how to get DVD's to play. Theres loads of tech stuff in the manual, and
I'd read it right through, but probably the first thing that someone is going
to want to try, is to play a DVD, and theres nothing specific as to how to do
it. I'm very happy with Mplayer because now I've got something I can play
MP3's on as well. Thanks again Rich. Nigel.