[MPlayer-users] license acquisition (hockey)

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Sun May 1 06:20:33 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 22:09 -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 11:00:14AM -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to watch
> > >
> > > http://mfile.akamai.com/15080/live/reflector:40292.asx?bkup=40293
> > > from
> > > http://mediazone.com/channel/hockey/jsp/index.jsp
> > > and i have bought the rights for it. However, with windows i'm getting
> > > prompted for username and passwd and then WMP acquires the license,
> > > whereas with mplayer specifying -user and -passwd didn't seem to do the
> > > same thing.
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated!
> > >

> > Sorry, this file is DRM-encumbered and you can't play it. MPlayer's
> > user and pass options are for websites/ftp servers that require a
> > password, not for DRM, which we won't support unless someone
> > reverse-engineers it for us.
> >
> > Rich

> Yes, now i recall reading about no DRM support in mplayer a while
> back. I guess it's not easy to hack, since it apparently involves an
> asymetric encryption system (w/o reading about it at all, i'd guess a
> double one: client to MS, and client to server).
> I am in the process of installing vlc, and xine, but i don't expect
> much success with DRM there either. But if somebody knows about a DRM-
> suuporting app on Linux, please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
To answer my own question: it apparently has been considered a no-go
zone  of a sort by open-source community so far. But perhaps Linus
wanted to watch (Finland play) hockey over the web, w/o using Windows
too. :)
http://news.com.com/Linux+founder+opens+door+to
+DRM/2100-1016_3-998292.html

Now that's Linus is involved, this should get a momentum.

P.S. And indeed, how evil it would be if hardware was made to work only
w/ wundows.