[MPlayer-users] license acquisition (hockey)

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue May 3 03:43:19 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

>On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:45:34 +1000
>Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at shikadi.net> wrote:
>

>>I was looking into this some time back, and there was a (probably
>>illegal) program floating around that could remove the DRM protection
>>provided you had a valid license.
>>

>Microsoft's second version of their WMV DRM was cracked before it was
>even released, IIRC.  Their version-1 DRM has never been cracked AFAIK,
>and is the only DRM you ever see in-use on WMV files.

In an ideal world, DRM would be implemented based on public key
encryption, so that the same content can be played anywhere as long as
you have the private key. MS DRM appears to be another implementation
that locks one into MS software. I wonder if there could be some
legislation attempt to perhaps require any such standard to not force a
lock-in? Perhaps this could stem from EU...

Maybe i'll post this thought on the list where Linus wrote, but i'm a
little guy (with his one eye). :)