[MPlayer-users] Re: how to install codecs?

adland123 adland123 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 17:21:43 CEST 2005

airplays55 <at> yahoo.com <airplays55 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Does mplayer use separate codecs for the audio and
> video portions?

Yes they do because they were encoded with sepearte codecs.
audio and video compression is different.

> What directory do the codecs go into?  I thought it
> was /usr/lib/win32, but that directory doesn't exist
> on my debian system.

you can install the win32 codecs debian package from marillat with apt-get
(if you add his repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file - search the web)

or download the all-codecs package from the mplayer home page links
and unpack/install manually

I have mine placed in directory  /usr/local/lib/win32
(probably just made the directory manually myself)

> I used apt-get to install kplayer and mplayer-mozilla
> - maybe I need to apt-get a codecs package also?

it is not available on the default installs of Debian to my knowledge.