[MPlayer-users] Re: Trying to view an .mpg file using mplayer but can't view the video

Mauriat mirandam at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:22:33 CEST 2005

> > As for installing by RPM, well the point of the guide was to _learn_
> > to install from source, I thought that at least was obvious.
>
> Yes, but getting them to compile something from source, only to end-up
> with a buggy and broken binary is not at all smart.  If they can't
> upgrade to a new GCC version, they should not be compiling complex
> programs on their systems, period.  I'm sure the people who need a guide
> like yours haven't checked their GCC version, looked up the bugs
> associated with it, and decided that they want to try installing from
> source anyhow.

This is really beating a dead horse. When I started to write this the
original MPlayer wasn't available for redistribution through binary
due to licensing. That comment is more of an artifact, anyways it
doesn't affect that many people.

The people who seem to arrive at my guide are often looking for the
MPlayer RPMs, as I state that these are available. However those who
end up using it either could not get the RPMs to work for whatever
reason, or needed to custom compile some feature.

I have yet to find a better guide to compiling MPlayer on RH/FC.
Anyways, I'll do my best to address these concerns.

Thanks for the comments.

Mauriat