[MPlayer-users] Question on DivX versions...

Sebastian Krämer spambouncer at skraemer.de
Tue May 10 15:46:15 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 15:33, David Norris wrote:
> On 5/10/05, Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:
> > What's about XVID ? Many movies are available in this format. To which
> > version of DivX is XVID compatible or can be compared with? Or is it
> > totally different?
>
> ... but DivX has less hardware compatibility (lots of
> set-top DVD players will play DivX, but few will play XviD yet). If
> this is not a concern for you then XviD is, IMHO, *definitely* the way
> to go. The implementations are very fast, very stable and produce good
> video.

I agree that xvid is at least as good as divx itself. And there's no need for
divx: Many settop-boxes now support xvid. The only thing you have to take
care of is to avoid GMC and Qpel. Also, don't create a packed bitstream
(that's an xvid enc. option), players will surely have problems with these.

Best thing is to try that with your box and if that works (I'm optimistic),
kick divx :)

Sebastian