[MPlayer-users] OT question - Video-Streaming - how?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed May 11 20:41:27 CEST 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:01:41 +0200 (CEST)
Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:

> Well, most browsers are smart enough to start playing while they still
> receive the file, but I assume that real streaming is still a better
> way.

Actually, I've found that, unless you need it to be live, just putting
the file on an HTTP server is actually the better option.  Have them
click on a link to a playlist that will open in a browser plug-in, or in
a media player, and things should work fine.

AVI obviously doesn't work for streaming, but MPEG files work just fine.
 You also have many other formats to chose from (just look at ffmpeg).

If you really want a streaming server, Darwin streaming server and
mpeg4ip haven't been mentioned, and work very well.