[MPlayer-users] OT question - Video-Streaming - how?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 12 21:06:36 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:54:01PM +0200, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> | > b) Another option is using .mpg files. This is a little bit more
> | > problematic, because SuSE doesn't have a really working codec library.
> | > It can decode,
> | Huh? What does SuSE have to do with encoding? Use mencoder to encode..
>
> Well, doesn't mencoder use mjepeglib or something like that? If it does, it

No. Never heard of such a thing.

> won't work, because SuSE (had at least in older versions) cannot ENcode with
> it. (This is from SuSE 8.0, possibly something has changed meanwhile, I never
> checked that out again, I simply switched to DivX.

Your OS/distro has nothing to do with what mencoder can do.

> | >    but not encode. So this requires more work and also gives much bigger
> | >    files.
> |
> | No, file size is something you pick. It will be lower quality at a
> | given fixed filesize, but not so bad if you use a good encoder (lavc)
> | and options.
>
> So lavc is able to encode into MPEG by itself? I can't believe that. ;-)

Yes of course.

> Could you please leave me an example command line for building example files
> out from an existing DivX or vob file (this is what I currently have at hands
> as sources)...? The result should be some kind of .MPG.

RTFM. It's all in the manual. If you haven't even done that, why are
you asking us to tell you how to do everything?

> | >    play while it is still downloading. Would appear similar to a stream, but
> | >    without a stream's disadvantages.
> |
> | Why not use wmv? ffmpeg can make wmv files using the wmv1 codec. These
> | compress fairly well and play on an "out of the box" windows system.
>
> Yes. But I do not favorize things that work only on Windows (or only with
> problems on other platforms). -> I prefer Linux, but in this case, I must also
> make it possible for Windoze...

WMV1 is totally playable on linux and all modern systems. libavcodec
both encodes and decodes it...

Rich