[MPlayer-users] mplayer external vobsubs reset while playing dvd

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat May 14 21:09:02 CEST 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 06:22:32PM +0200, Mattias Wernér wrote:
> Somehow I feel that would be an unelegant solution, and I really want to
> avoid having to rip the dvd whenever I want to watch it. I have several
> dvds where I've acquired a different set of subtitles since the original
> lacks a track (mainly japanese films, Kurosawa anyone?).
> I'm not a programmer so I won't even begin to try to elaborate on a
> solution, but I find it a bit peculiar that mplayer relies on internal
> timestamps in the film with external subs...  maybe I've just
> misunderstood the inner workings of this process.
> Anyhow, is this something that's bound to be looked on in the near
> future? Or am I stuck with keeping my windows-partition for this use?
> I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm whining. I adore this application and if
> it weren't for this issue I'd be more or less married to it.

There's no solution in the immediate future. Blame it on DVDs for the
idiotic timestamp reset, but there's currently no way for MPlayer to
know the "actual time" in the movie.. :(
I would recommend ripping your DVDs anyway. There are plenty of other
errors you can fix too in the process, like black borders, noise,
telecine, etc.

Rich