[MPlayer-users] mplayer and Windows Media DRM

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Thu May 19 07:13:27 CEST 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 17.41, Andrew Pimlott wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 02:36:38PM -0700, RC wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:36:33 -0700
>> Andrew Pimlott <andrew at pimlott.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I downloaded a Windows Media Video 9 file from movielink.com, which
>>> uses some kind of Digital Restrictions Management.  Is there any way
>>> to make mplayer play it?
>>>

>> Nope.  DRM.
>>

> Could mplayer tell me instead of making me struggle to figure it out
> myself?  Could this fact be added to the documentation or the FAQ?
>
> Andrew
Just like the last guy said: "Nope. DRM." The idea of the DRM is to
make files that can't be played by unlicensed players. In other
words: "We don't want you to play files where we can't track them,"
which includes *all* FOSS media players. This opinion is debatable,
but it's Microsoft's way of making files that can only play on what
they approve, under the guise of protecting intellectual property.
Sorry, but you're about as out of luck as OS X users who want to play
*any* WMP9 videos, DRM'd or not.