[MPlayer-users] mencoder compatibility with Windows media player.

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:18:37 CEST 2005

On 5/19/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:14:19PM +0200, Alexander Noe' wrote:
> > Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> >
> > >What are the formats and codecs that Windows-XP can play 'out of the
> > >box'? Or at least using only software from MS?
> >
> > Almost nothing, not even simple plain AVI files with 2 audio streams,
> > even though even the old, original AVI format supports 99 of them.
> >
> > M$ does not yet have any working media player.
> >
> > > (This is to placate some customers for which 'security' equates with
> > 'MS purity'; no flames please!)
> >
> > They have to choose between watching movies and using only M$ware...
>
> This is false, there are plenty of formats that work. MPEG1 is the
> most universal. You can also make asf (wmv) files using wmv1 video and
> mp3 audio, which are (probably) playable by WMP -- this requires using
> ffmpeg rather than mencoder (or in addition).
>
> Rich

I did not have much luck in the end.
ffdshow happily causes windows media player to play and mencoded
files, but then Windows Media Encoder just crashes with any file I
give it to encode that came from mencoder.
Is there any way to use mencoder to convert a .vob file (US 30 fps)
into an MPEG1 file?
I tried but mencoder complained about frame rate and incompatible formats.

James