[MPlayer-users] What are b_frames for and should I use them for my mpeg2 encodings(for DVD) ?

VJ vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:53:27 CEST 2005

> the first and second are totally false without more information.
> personally i strongly recommend against using b frames unless you have
> a very good reason. they rarely help quality:bitrate ratio, and they
> slow down not only encoding but also decoding, among adding lots of
> other complexities if you want to remux the video later. however,
> strict dvd compliance may require them...

Hi Rich,
     What do you mean by strict dvd compliance? Till now I have been
encoding my mpeg2's without B-Frames (if I go by what man page says -
by default B-Frames are 0) and my DVD's run on many stand-alone DVD
players.

I will try to encode 2-3 recordings tonight to come up with any results.

Thanks.

VJ