[MPlayer-users] how to play subtitles embedded in AVI files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri May 20 22:54:07 CEST 2005

Alexander Noe' wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Not necessarily SSA format; rather, it will (should) extract the
>> same plaintext subtitle file which whoever created the AVI had
>> before they put it in there. That file might have been SSA, but it
>> also might have been SRT or almost any other plaintext subtitle
>> format.
>
> AVI-Mux GUI

Oh, is *that* the culprit?

> only allows to put SSA and SRT into AVI, and atm i'm not aware of any
> other program that can put subtitles into AVI at all (submux crashed
> each time I tried to), so the file in question contains most likely
> SSA or SRT subs.

Depending on exactly what you mean by "allows" (i.e. how the program
tries to enforce the limitation), however, it's very simple to avoid
such a restriction; in the simplest type of enforcement, it should
theoretically be possible to stick the entire plain-ASCII King James
Bible in there if you just stick a .ssa or .srt suffix on the end. If
anything remotely like *that* is possible, then putting another type of
subtitle file in there ought to be trivial.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.