[MPlayer-users] mplayer via ssh on home network

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun May 22 06:41:36 CEST 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:04:03 -0500
Cheryl Homiak <chomiak at charter.net> wrote:

> I had thought that esound (esd) might be the way to do this but the
> esd examples I found either involved gnome or talked about going from
> a Windows machine to a linux machine;

ESD (or ARTS, or NAS) is certainly the way to do this.  You don't need
GNOME or Windows.  Linux to Linux should be very easy to setup.  Just
run esd on the (local) destination machine.  eg. "esd -public -tcp"

Then run mplayer on the remote machine like normal, except with ao esd
and the machine's IP address/hostname.  eg: "mplayer -ao esd:10.0.0.1"

Port 16001 is the default, so that needs to be open.  Or you can select
a different port to use.

> I was hoping too that there might be a more direct way of doing
> this via the mplayer command-line itself.

You need a server on one end and a client on the other.  I don't know
how you expect mplayer to be able to do it all by itself.  You could
perhaps run mplayer locally, and just access the files remotely over
the network if that's what you're looking for.