[MPlayer-users] [POLL] RAM and streamed RM (realplayer) files

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 26 19:57:25 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:00:25PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/26/05, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> > >Hi there,
> > >Some web sites features links to streamed content as a RAM file, such
> > >as: http://www.tv-radio.com/ondemand/france_inter/HISTOIRE/HISTOIRE20050526.ram
> > >This kind of file is in fact just a link to a RTSP stream, like:
> > >rtsp://a1977.v107971117109424.c10797.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/1977/10797/1117109424/franceinter.download.akamai.com/10797/france_inter/HISTOIRE/HISTOIRE20050515.rm
> >
> > use -playlist in front of the url.
>
> D'oh! That was too damn simple... Thanks!
>
> > In theory it's possible to associate .ram to DEMUXER_TYPE_PLAYLIST,
> > but I'm afraid some broadcaster confuse .rm (the mux format)
> > and .ram (the textual url above).
>
> Could mplayer auto-switch to the appropriate demuxer if it detects
> that the file is a playlist or a multimedia file?
> If it's hard to implement, just don't bother, now I know how to handle
> those files, and should probably add a FAQ entry (should I have the
> time to do so).

It used to do this, but the playlist parser is buggy (and probably
full of overflow vulns) so it would get stuck in an infinite loop on
lots of files that were not playlists, but that mplayer couldn't play
(resulting in fallback to playlist parser). Thus I disabled the auto
fallback until someone audits and fixes the playlist parser.

Rich