[MPlayer-users] monitoraspect

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 27 18:25:59 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 05:15:17PM +0200, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> This is NOT a request nor bugreport, it is something (trivial) I have
> figured out and wanted to share it.
>
> I have a 1280x1024 display (nVidia graphics chip). I had noticed that when
> using xv video output the image is a slightly higher than it should be
> (i.e. 320x256 instead of 320x240) but it is correct when using x11 video
> output. You can correct this by specifying the aspect ratio of your
> monitor (1280:1024=1.25), i.e.
>
> 	mplayer -monitoraspect 1.25 ...

False. Unless you have a very strange monitor, your monitor is NOT
1.25:1, but 4:3. -monitoraspect has nothing to do with your video mode
but the physical dimensions of your monitor. MPlayer is doing the
correct thing; you're the one messing it up. In the future you might
try switching to a correct video mode with square pixels, i.e.
1280x960.

Rich