[MPlayer-users] Dream video machine or nightmare?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat May 28 07:59:07 CEST 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:15:21 -0700
Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Could anyone with some more video grabbing experience suggest some
> hardware?  CPU, mobo, SCSI/SATA controller, etc?  I am partial to
> AMD, but don't mind shelling out the $$ for Intel if it's worth it.

I suggest you spend most of your time looking through motherboard
specs.  A surprising number of SIS/VIA chips don't do proper PCI DMA,
so even a single capture card is too much...

It's less likely an SMP motherboard would be so limited, but better to
check before you waste money...  And you might want to go for
Nvidia chipsets, rather than VIA/SiS, IMHO.