[MPlayer-users] Dream video machine or nightmare?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat May 28 09:55:50 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 03:15:21PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> 4 video capture cards (BT848)
> SMP CPU

Hmm... You might think again whether you really want to get into that
additional SMP trouble...
I have a Athlon64 3200+, and I just tried reencoding a 640x368 movie
(enoded with xvid, so it might be even faster in your case since it
doesn't need to decode first - if the PCI bus can take the data from all
4 cards).
I used this commandline:
mencoder -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2
StarWars-Broken_Allegiance.avi
The average bitrate for video was around 1900 kbit/s (so any harddrive
should be able to take four of them), and I got between 128 and 170 fps.
And that's in 32bit mode, I can also test 64 bit if you're interested...
Sure, it's not lossless, but with vqscale=2 I think the quality really
should be sufficient (the lossless codecs either have a far too high
bitrate or their specs aren't finalized so they may not play with future
versions)...
And yes, Intel CPUs are usually _a lot_ slower, at least with MPlayer.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger