[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] Re: [-] monitoraspect

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Mon May 30 22:57:09 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 30. Mai 2005 17:42 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 02:00:45PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > Always make sure the "DiplaySize" entry is correct. Most other
> > videoplayers besides MPlayer respect the "DisplaySize" entry.
> > Additionally fonts will be too large if your "DisplaySize" is smaller
> > than the actual size.
> >
> > Just change your Display Size entry to:
> > 	DisplaySize  357 286
>
> As far as I'm concerned, displaysize must not be set and DPI must be
> set to 75. Otherwise you can't use the nice bitmap fonts, which look
> better than any scalable ones I've seen.

?? Even MPlayer can use truetype fonts for subtitles.
If you want to use those bitmap fonts - do that. You know what you are
doing. you know that there is a file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and so on,
so there is no problem.

But I think it is not good to advise other people to go the Windows-way
(every monotor has 96dpi regardless of the actual dpi). Most people use
MPlayer on unix and there a 10pt font should have always the same size
regardless if you have a 75dpi CRT, a 100dpi CRT, a 80 dpi TFT, a 140dpi
TFT, a 300dpi laser printer or a 1200 dpi laser printer.

And btw.: a Truetype font with subpixel hinting is looking better than any
bitmap font. (IMHO)

> (Technically you can use
> them, but when you mix them with scalable fonts the sizes will be
> wrong...)

Hm, at least there are 100dpi bitmap fonts. Anyway, the only application
with bitmap fonts I am using is mingetty. :-)

   Matthias