[MPlayer-users] Support for ivtv driven tv cards?

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Mon Nov 7 21:30:03 CET 2005

On 2005-11-07 | 01:26:28, RC wrote:
>Actually, ivtv cards are able to switch into providing RAW output like
>non-MPEG TV cards, but the ivytv driver doesn't support that, and very
>few people care :-)

Are you sure? I have a Hauppauge PVR-150. Do you mean YUV when speaking
of RAW? According to ivtv-detect I should be able to get YUV data from
/dev/video32. Unfortunately mplayer fails to play that stream too.

>Anyhow, don't hold your breath.  The IVTV driver and system is a giant
>hack, and there's no standard way to do it.  You use "ivtv-tune", while
>I use "chann", and others use other programs.  There needs to be some
>standard in V4L on how to handle MPEG cards, rather than more hacks
>that just barely work.

Why do you think that ivtv is a hack? Apparently it uses v4l's standard
way to change channels and what would you expect from a mpeg encoder
than a mpeg stream? The problem ist just that most v4l applications do
not support mpeg playback while most mpeg players do not know anything
about v4l.

Maybe ivtv could support the standard (YUV?) v4l playback, but I don't
know if the hardware can support this and I don't want to see a mpeg
decoder in kernel space.

>Have you tried changing the channel while MPlayer is playing from the
>device?  It gets rather ugly.  You could write a little script to
>intercept keystrokes, change the channel, and restart mplayer.  That
>would probably work just as well as anything else.

Just works here.

Tom

--
Datentransferlimits und die Breitbandlüge
http://www.hostmaster.org/TransferLimits.html