[MPlayer-users] mplayer and apple HD trailer statistics: 4 out of 32 works

Jiang Qian qian2 at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 8 07:08:35 CET 2005

Hi All:
As a loyal user of mplayer since 0.9 days I think I may be able to
contribute something to the community as a tester. I wanted to test how
well latest mplayer deal with the HD trailers on the apple trailer page,
and if it doesn't work, what are the reasons. I tested 32 trailers on
apple trailer pages(to be accurate I tested those on the
http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/
which also kindly provided direct link to trailer, so it's possible
that there're unlisted trailers).

My system is ubuntu hoary with custom 2.6.12-4 kernel and gcc 3.3.5. I
have libfaad2.0.0 installed and I build my mplayer version from
CVS-051106 and the corresponding ffmpeg from the same date. The only
compile options I used are --enable-gui and --enable-opendivx.

I couldn't get faad2.0 cvs from http://www.audiocoding.com compiled
because I don't have automake 1.6, so if someone is kind enough to
provide me the Makefile for the latest cvs faad2.0 I can try that out,
too.

For the trailers of the same movie, I only test one resolution usually
th 480p one, under the (somewhat verified) assumption that if one
resolution works the result will, too.

Out of 32 trailers I tested, only 4 does not works. And their problems
are the following:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/harry_potter_goblet/harry_potter_goblet_h480p.mov
symptom: crashes, but video works with -nosound.
FAAD: error: Maximum number of scalefactor bands exceeded, trying to
resync!
FAAD: error: Unable to find ADTS syncword, trying to resync!

http://movies.apple.com/movies/newline/final_destination_3/final_destination_3_h480p.mov
Symptom: same as above

http://movies.apple.com/movies/universal/jarhead/jarhead-tlr_h480p.mov
Symptom: video works but no sound
FAAD: Failed to initialize the decoder!
ADecoder init failed :(
ADecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6134706D.

http://movies.apple.com/movies/paramount/barnyard/barnyard_h480p.mov
Symptom: simply crash even with -nosound

I hope these statistics can help developers for bug hunting. If anyone
can get any of the above trailers to work I'll also be interested in
hearing how. And if anyone have any other apple HD trailers that
doesn't work I'll be glad to see whether it does it here. This way we
may be able to establish a database, in a sense, to help the developers
to improve the apple HD support for mplayer.

BTW mplayer, when works, is extremely CPU efficient in playing HD
trailers, much better than the windows version of quicktime. Go mplayer!

Best
Jiang