[MPlayer-users] Embedding video aspect in mpeg1

Heimdall Midgard heimdalle at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 01:13:58 CET 2005

2005/11/10, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net>:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:19:14 +0800
> Heimdall Midgard <heimdalle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > VLC and Xine apparently interpret the aspect as
> > something closer to 16/9 (squished). The command I use
> > is:
> >
> > mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc \
> > -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224:\
> > vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1150:vrc_buf_size=327:\
> > vrc_minrate=1150:vrc_maxrate=1150 \
> > -of mpeg -mpegopts format=xvcd:vaspect=4/3 \
> > -vf pullup,softskip,scale=352:240,harddup \
> > -af resample=44100 -ofps 24000/1001 \
> > -o output.mpeg input.avi
>
> I don't see "aspect=4/3" in your lavcopts.

In this particular command, yes. But I did two tests, one
with "-mpegopts vaspect=" and another with "-lavcopts
aspect=".

> > I know there's a note in the man page for "-lavcopts
> > aspect=" that "only MPlayer will play these files
> > correctly"
>
> That only applies to MPEG-4 video in an AVI.
>
> > Is there a way to embed the aspect so that it can be
> > read correctly by other software players.
>
> Yes.  I don't have xine or vlc installed, but I just
> tested that ffplay works fine, and even Windows players
> don't have any problems with the aspect on (S)VCDs I've
> created.

I tested with ffmpeg (cvs of 20051101) and the aspect is
also displayed incorrectly (it looks more like 16/9). VLC,
Xine, and ffmpeg all use ffmpeg. To be doubly sure I again
tested with a commercial VCD, which mplayer and the three
programs all displayed with the correct aspect. So at this
point it seems to be either a mencoder or an ffmpeg bug.

Is there any way I can determine if it's a mencoder problem
(that is, what should I look for in the console output)?

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn
Wissen ist begrenzt.