[MPlayer-users] Changing the aspect ratio

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Thu Nov 10 17:56:35 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:52:56PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/10/05, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> > I recorded a video with the wrong aspect (4/9 instead of 4/3...)
> >
> > ISTR that the aspect ratio is particular to mplayer...  So, is there
> > some way to change it without having to re-record the whole thing?
> >
> > It takes me about 6 hours to record a DVD using 2 passes, and I really
> > don't want to do it again if there is a quick way to do it...
>
> this question is in the FAQ. Use the "-force-aspect" option, or smth
> that looks like it.

No, that's about avi and he is talking about mpeg.

For the copy of dvd mpegs this command line should do it:

(PAL)  mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc copy -noskip -o out.mpg dvd://1 -oac copy

(NTSC) mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc copy -noskip -o out.mpg dvd://1 -oac copy -ofps 24000/1001 -mc 0

If you need to change the aspect use -mpegopts format=dvd:vaspect=4/3

Giacomo