[MPlayer-users] Embedding video aspect in mpeg1

Heimdall Midgard heimdalle at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 01:02:37 CET 2005

2005/11/11, Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu>:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:19:14AM +0800, Heimdall Midgard wrote:

[snip]

> > I am using MPlayer dev-CVS-051107-08:26-4.0.3.

But I did mention it ;-).

> mencoder will usually set the appropriate aspect ratio
> for mpegs (except for a couple of uncommon configurations)
> and 4/3 and 16/9 aspects always work.
> (well, I'm talking about releases, I use CVS less often and I
> don't know if recently CVS did break something. You didn't
> mention what version of mplayer you are using).
>

> MPlayer will display something like this when you play the mpeg:
>
> VIDEO:  MPEG1  352x240  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps  1152.0 kbps (144.0 kbyte/s)
> and
> Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
> VO: [xv] 352x240 => 352x264 Planar YV1
>
> If that is what you have, then the mpeg aspect IS fine and
> the problem is somewhere else.

Yes, MPlayer displays the correct aspect when playing the MEncoded
mpeg1. The problem is that the aspect isn't honored by at least three
free software players: VLC, Xine and FFPlay (FFmpeg player). Could
three different players be broken?

Unfortunately, I don't have a hardware VCD/DVD player to test if the
problem is with MEncoder's VCD encoding or the decoding of the
non-MPlayer software players.

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.