[MPlayer-users] what tv cards work with mplayer in linux?

Phil Oleynik oleynik.phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Sun Nov 13 13:46:16 CET 2005

Mustafa Abbasi wrote:

>>There is one vital thing you should provide to help people help you.
>>What is your local tv-system? I mean, PAL, SECAM, NTSC and what letters
>>are after norm, probably they should be (one or two of these) L, B, G,
>>D, K.
>>If you have SECAM and not L one, you probably will have a hard time
>>getting
>>it work. Difference is in ways how color is embedded to video signal and
>>where sound subcarrier lies.
>>
>>oh good point.
>>

>i live in an area where local tv is is PAL format BUT i really don't watch
>tv that much
>(last tv program i watched was a year ago). i want a tv card so i can output
>my xbox and ps2 onto my computer. see i live in a tiny cramped hostel (in
>college) so i don't have space for a tv. i think its possible for me to play
>my consoles onto the computer by this.
>ps. i think my xbox is NTSC and my ps2 is PAL.

Then you probably will not have any difficulties with it, pick one of
cards based on BT878 or SAA713x
chip, their price actually is a price of good tuner, so since you have
strong signal from local device, many
cards may suit your needs. Although, the cheapest one probably will make
too bad picture because of
bad screening and power filtering. I own AverTV 307 and I am satisfied
with picture is produces when
picking signal from air. So I suppose from local wire it will be even
better.

Philipp