[MPlayer-users] Changing aspect ratio while playing a file

Sebastian Kaps seb at sauerland.de
Tue Nov 15 21:44:15 CET 2005

Hi!

Is it somehow possible to change the aspect ratio of a video file while
playing it? I know I can set the aspect ratio via -aspect or
-monitoraspect on the command line but I haven't found a way to do so
while the file is actually playing.

I just want to be able to pre-scale movies in widescreen formats to
make use of the 16:9 function of my TV, i.e. horizontally scale the
picture by a factor of 0.70. This makes no sense for videos in 4:3
format, so I cannot put "monitoraspect=16:9" permanently into my
~/.mplayer/config file.

"mplayer -input cmdlist" shows that there's a switch_ratio command which
can be used to change the aspect ratio. So I could bind a key to
e.g. "switch_ratio 1.77778" for videos in 16:9 format.
But this way videos in 2.35:1 format would be scaled wrongly and I'd
have to define another key for this format ans so on.

So is there an easier way?

--
Ciao, Sebastian