[MPlayer-users] Encoding to SVCD

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:35:00 CET 2005

I want to encode a 24000/1001 fps film to PAL SVCD, and have a few
difficulties. SVCD is 25fps and I think the most sensible way to convert
it would be to use -fps 25 -ofps 25 and play it slightly faster rather
than add frames. I believe that's how PAL DVD players play 24fps
material anyway. So I presume I need to speed up the sound to
compensate. The source has 48KHz MP3 which I need to convert to 44.1KHz
MP2 for SVCD anyway. If I used -srate 44100 and -af resample=42293.70629
[1] would that do the trick?

The second problem is that the docs say that lavc's mp2 codec isn't very
good quality and the toolame or twolame codecs should be used instead.
But the toolame codec requires a toolame library (-ltoolame), and there
is no such library in toolame's distribution; it only generates an
executable. And there's no sign of any support for twolame in MPlayer's
configure script or source; only in the docs. Could I symlink twolame's
library and header files to "toolame" equivalents?

If I export the audio and convert with sox and/or toolame/twolame I'm
worried that AV sync might drift, whereas doing the conversion entirely
in mencoder together with the video could ensure timestamps are kept in
the right places. Or would the fps trick mess that up anyway?

[1] 44100 / (25 / (24000/1001))

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk