[MPlayer-users] Re: Changing aspect ratio while playing a file

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 20:44:50 CET 2005

Sorry, I haven't got the original message, but I saw a reply and looked
up the original on gmane. I think Sebastian (the OP) may have
misuderstood exactly what -monitoraspect does. It doesn't scale the
video to *fill* the given aspect, it scales it to fill as much of a
screen of that shape as possible while preserving the original aspect
ratio.

So whatever video you play with -monitoraspect=16:9 it will display
correctly on a 16:9 screen. 4:3 videos will have black borders at the
sides and 2.35:1 videos will have black borders at the top.

You may prefer that 4:3 fills the screen and leave it to your TV to sort
it out, in which case you can use a wrapper script to work out the ratio
and add an appropriate -monitoraspect option. If anyone's interested
I'll post a snippet.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk