[MPlayer-users] Question on conversion of svq1 and wmv files

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Fri Nov 18 05:21:53 CET 2005

The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> writes:
> When the file is too large to send through the mailing list, it is
> acceptable to either compress the output and attach that or upload the
> text file somewhere and post a link.

Very well. I would think you filtered attachments, but I'll try
it anyway. :)

The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> writes:
>Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, why would I do "-mc 0"?
> To prevent MEncoder from attempting to change the A/V sync at all, in
> case it's doing so mistakenly when it actually shouldn't.

May I usefully assume that is most always the case when transcoding
from one video type to another (e.g. in my case wmv2 to flv or
svq1 to flv)?

>From my knowledge of audio, if mencoder is properly resampling the
audio (the svq1 has a sample rate of 32000 for some reason), it
shouldn't change the timing of said audio.

> We always welcome help in improving the documentation. If nothing else,
> if you do gain an understanding of what you need to know here, perhaps
> you could write up the kind of guide you would have liked to find and
> submit it for consideration.

If I ever think I know enough about what I am doing to describe it so
that others may benefit, sure I'll do it.

> A "codec family" is, by my understanding, a group of associated codecs.
> For example, '-vfm ffmpeg' will tell the player 'automatically select
> one of the video codecs provided by FFmpeg', whereas '-vc ffodivx' will
> tell the player 'use the FFmpeg MPEG-4 codec'. The latter is more
> specific, but also more likely to fail.

Now the kicker: How do I know what codec family to use, when to use a
family vs a singluar codec, does that apply to the input or output
or both, and how can I exactly specify which side it is applied to? :)

Apologies if these are newbie questions, I admit that I am a newbie to
this program.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

There is enough for all in this world but not enough to meet
one man's greed.
                                            - Mahatma Gandhi