[MPlayer-users] inserting external subtitles back into VOB

Paul TT paultt at hackerjournal.it
Fri Nov 18 17:19:19 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:49:13 -0500
Robert La Ferla <robertlaferla at comcast.net> wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
> > Yes, this would be a feature request. No, there is not a way to do
that
> > that I know of. The only way it would be possible (without a lot of
> > extra code which should probably go in a separate program) would be
if
> > the external subtitles were already in the bitmap-based VOBsub
format,
> > which is not very likely in most cases.
> In my case, it is already in the VOBsub format so that would be
> beneficial.  I wonder if there is another program that could handle
> subtitle editing??

i extract the subs with tcextract from transcode:
tcextract -i stream.dump -x ps1 -a 0x20  | subtitle2pgm  -g 5 -t 1
-o subs_folder/subs
probebly you can pipe your vobsub file directly to subtitle2pgm, which
creates a lot if files subs0000x.png in the subdir
subtitle2pgm from: subtitleripper.sf.net
(you can also extract from the dvd man tcextract)
then remux in the mpeg file with spumux from dvdauthor
(dvdauthor.sf.net):
spumux subs_folder/subs.xml < file_dvd.mpg >
file_dvd_subbed.mpg

maybe you can directly remux, try