[MPlayer-users] No MP3 encoder in LAVC??

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 18:14:00 CET 2005

Giacomo Comes wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:25:08PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

>> configure.log does in fact report successful detection of
>> libavcodec, so that isn't the problem. -ac ffmp3 works just fine
>> for audio decoding, so there is some form of libavcodec-based MP3
>> support in there. 'ffmpeg -formats' from a CVS updated pretty much
>> the same time reports 'mp3' as one of the recognized codecs, and
>> the same copy of ffmpeg is capable of encoding MP3 audio, so my
>> system does have everything necessary for libavcodec to do MP3
>> encoding.
>>
>> 'mp3' is listed as one of the valid arguments to '-lavcopts acodec'
>> in the man page; I've tried 'mp2', which is also listed and is the
>> default, and that does not produce this problem.
>>
>> Any clue what's going on, or where I could look to find out more?
>
> libavcodec does not include a native mp3 encoder. It needs lame
> installed. Do you have lame (or lame-devel) installed?

lame, yes, and liblame0, and for that matter toolame, though not
apparently liblame-dev - but since I *can* use MP3 encoding in FFmpeg
itself, and since '-oac mp3lame' works just fine, that doesn't appear to
explain away the situation. Any other ideas?

(It makes less difference than it might have, if the code involved is
going to be pretty much the same anyway, but it's the principle of the
thing - especially since, as I've indicated, this *did* work previously
(possibly as little as two days ago) and I haven't changed anything that
I know of since then.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.