[MPlayer-users] Reencoding a broadcast HD-ATSC stream

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 20 23:52:28 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:51:29 -0500
Norman Ramsey <nr at eecs.harvard.edu> wrote:

> and when I put the dvd itself into a hardware player, it is 'mostly
> frozen' with short snatches of motion/audio.

That's almost certainly a problem with the MPEG muxer in CVS, which I've
reported quite some time ago.  For the time being, you need to use
1.0pre7 for muxing to MPEG for VCD/SVCD/DVDs.

1.0pre7 has some less serious (fixed offset) a/v sync problems of it's
own... I get around it by outputting to an AVI file initially, then
remuxing to MPEG with "mencoder -mc 0".

Unfortunately, that often runs you into the long-standing bug of
mplayer/mencoder crashing when trying to open MPEG1/2 in AVI if the
first frame is null (due to A/V sync), but you can apply the attached
patch to take care of that.

Crazy, isn't it?