[MPlayer-users] transcode 1080i to interlaced DVD?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Nov 21 20:23:47 CET 2005

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:23:04AM -0500, Norman Ramsey wrote:
> Dear Mplayers,
>
> I've recorded some high-definition 1080i content that I would
> like to archive to DVD.  Running a deinterlace filter (-vf pp=fd)
> leaves the picture somewhat blurry.

Yes, thats a very bad idea.

> I was thinking that it
> might make more sense simply to code the interlaced input as
> interlaced output.

This is a much better idea. Make sure you get the field order right,
btw (lavc has an option for field order when encoding interlaced
video). If it's wrong the video will stutter horribly.

> Then it will display just fine on my old television.
> But I'm not quite sure how to persuade mencoder to scale (and possibly
> crop) the even and odd fields independently.  I had considered the
> following options:
>
>   -vf il=d,crop=1440:1080,scale=720:480:1,il=i
>   -lavcopts ildct:ilme:mbd=2
>
> but I have no idea what I'm doing. Do all these make sense in combination?

This would work if you used il=d:d and il=i:i (you must process both
luma and chroma, not just one! your command line as-is will destroy
the chroma). However vf_scale already has an option to process
interlaced video (see the man page on -vf scale).

Rich