[MPlayer-users] Reencoding a broadcast HD-ATSC stream

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Nov 22 11:28:00 CET 2005

Hi,
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 11:03:14AM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> > >About your problem: don't use bitrate of 20000. If you want to specify
> > >2 mbit/s, use 2000. If you want to specify 20 mbit/s, use 20000000. Read
> > >man page for details.
> > Well that's perfectly intuitive... ;-)
>
> Mplayer's authors never supposed that someone will encode at average
> bitrates higher than 16 mbit/s. You should think twice before doing so,

Well, I'd say if you want to make sure you get good quality you
shouldn't set a bitrate anyway and instead use e.g. vqscale=2 (or if you
really need it, vqscale=1). Encoding will be faster, and you won't get
into trouble if the bitrate allocation algorithm makes stupid decisions.
Though setting vqmax can help against the latter one, too.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger