[MPlayer-users] x264 vs xvid

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:38:55 CET 2005

Hi,

On 11/27/05, Dark Shadow <shadowofdarkness at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have heard that the h264 codec is supposed to be better then regular mpeg4
> like xvid and was wondering how much smaller would a x264 video would be to
> get the exact same quality as those 42min 350mb xvid tv shows that could be
> downloaded off the internet plus compared to a dvd compliant mpeg2 file with
> say a 2 pass 3000 bitrate.
>
> I am not good enough to do the tests and get decent results which is why I
> am asking.

You really should test it yourself to see if x264 fits your needs.
There are still ppl who prefer xvid for different reasons (usually
because it's a lot faster, and that they know how to tune xvid and
don't know how to tune x264 yet).

Just to address your specific question about quality, I used to encode
with xvid or lavc at 0.2-0.15 bits per pixel, and now with x264 I
encode at 0.10-0.09 bits per pixel, and I like the quality I get very
much.

But please test yourself.

Guillaume
--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's
at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember