[MPlayer-users] documentation mencoder section multiple jpg / png / tga

Helmut Rathgen helmut.rathgen at web.de
Wed Nov 30 18:54:48 CET 2005

Hello Guillaume,

here comes more information. I built the cvs snapshot including cvs
libavcodecs. Also here libavcodec doesn't seem to handle the multiple
.jpg correctly.

helmut at ncv77:~/phd/sfa/experiments/05_11_29/test$ mplayer mf://*.jpg -mf
fps=25

MPlayer dev-CVS-050806-06:00-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Playing mf://*.jpg.
[demux_mf] file type was not set! trying 'type=jpg'...
[mf] search expr: *.jpg
[mf] number of files: 9 (36)
VIDEO:  [IJPG]  0x0  24bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 680 x 512 (preferred csp: Unknown)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Also try adding the scale filter, e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
mp_image: Unknown out_fmt: 0x0

FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo).

Exiting... (End of file)

If I specify -vc ijpg, it works.

helmut at ncv77:~/phd/sfa/experiments/05_11_29/test$ mplayer mf://*.jpg -mf
fps=25 -vc ijpg
MPlayer dev-CVS-050806-06:00-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Playing mf://*.jpg.
[demux_mf] file type was not set! trying 'type=jpg'...
[mf] search expr: *.jpg
[mf] number of files: 9 (36)
VIDEO:  [IJPG]  0x0  24bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Forced video codec: ijpg
Opening video decoder: [ijpg] JPEG Images decoder
Selected video codec: [ijpg] vfm:ijpg (Independent JPEG Group's codec)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 680 x 512 (preferred csp: RGB 24-bit)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using RGB 24-bit as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 9 -> 8

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from RGB 24-bit to Planar YV12 using MMX2
VO: [xv] 680x512 => 680x512 Planar YV12
0

Exiting... (End of file)

This leads me to the conclusion that it is really important to use
mencoder with the -vc ijpg option for multiple jpg movies. I think it
could be of great help for newbees to find an example with the -vc ijpg
option in the mjpg / mpng / mtga section of the Docs.

Thank you once again:-)!

All the best,

Helmut