[MPlayer-users] Horrible Compression Artifacts in High Motion Scenes

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 3 23:40:00 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:43:06AM -0500, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> Hello. I'm attempting to compress a video with the following command
> line:
>
> mencoder INPUT -o OUTPUT -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=3:aspect=16/9:idct=8:trell:vmax_b_frames=0:vqmax=31:v
> hq:v4mv:vrc_eq=tex:vfdct=5:dia=-1:vbitrate=1200:vrc_minrate=650:vrc_maxr
> ate=2500:vrc_buf_size=1835 -vf
> crop=720:464:0:8,filmdint=dint_thres=256,pp=lb -ofps 29.976

Where did you get this command line? vhq is old and equivalent to
mbd=1; mbd=2 is usually considered better. overriding idct/fdct is
unnecessary and may be a bad idea. dia=-1 is probably experimental, no
idea if it works well. minrate/maxrate/bufsize ALWAYS lower quality
and are just for making bitrate-restricted encodes for dvd/vcd/etc.

Finally and most importantly, don't set vrc_eq unless you understand
it. Setting it to tex is probably a bad idea.

Somehow I have a feeling your deinterlacing is bad too, since you're
using such nonsensical options in general.

> My guess was with that kind of a bitrate, there would be enough

1200 is not terribly high, but should work plenty well for live action
content (as opposed to anime which might show artifacts).

Rich