[MPlayer-users] How to create a wav file with silence with MPlayer

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Oct 4 17:12:33 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:01:29PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 05:54:51PM -0400, Giacomo Comes wrote:

> > > What in the world do you mean by 4 frames of pcm audio??
> >
> > That's a feature of mplayer!
> > With the previous command line I would create a silent wav file
> > with duration of n+1 * k seconds where n is the argument of -frames
> > and k=341.3ms
>
> This k is very arbitrary and depends on the implementation of the

I don't see a problem here. I know that k has this value with the
rawaudio demuxer. Why I cannot use it?

> demuxer. Making a script rely on it not changing from one version to
> another is IMO a very very bad idea.

You are suggesting then to NOT write scripts that uses mplayer.
Because with EVERY new relase of mplayer there are some changes
that will ALWAYS break a (non trivial) script.
For example -ao pcm, and -vo png syntax has changed in the last
two relases (just to tell the first two that I remember).
The fact that the changes were documented didn't prevent the
breakage, it simply made easier the implementation of the fix.

Giacomo