[MPlayer-users] mplayer takes all RAM over a few days

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 15:00:33 CEST 2005

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Thursday, 06 October 2005 at 06:18, Klaus Thorn wrote:

>> but the compile was fine after I moved libav* to cvs-checkout/main.
>> (I only had symlinks until then. Sad that this seems to be the
>> cause for the compile error, I as a sysadmin would prefer that a
>> compile treats hard link and symlink the same)
>
> AFAIR it's explicitly mentioned in the documentation that you need to
> copy libav* to MPlayer source dir (though I think a hardlink should
> work, too).

...although, to the best of my prior awareness, hardlinking directories
is not possible. A closer reading of the ln man page indicates that
there is a way to force the attempt, but only for root, and that even
root probably won't be able to succeed at it on most systems. Given
that, I'm not sure the suggestion is really practical.

(Well... you could hardlink every file in the directories individually,
whether manually (impractical!) or by script, but that seems like a lot
more effort than it would be worth.)

> If you can supply a patch that will make it work with a symlink,
> you're welcome to do so.

I've never actually quite understood *why* it doesn't work with a
symlink, other than the question of different configuration issues (that
is, the Makefiles generated in those directories by MPlayer's configure
will be different from those generated by FFmpeg's configure, and so the
end result of compilation will differ), which would constitute a
fundamental structural limitation; since your comment seems to imply
that it might be possible to avoid the problem, I don't think that that
would really fit as an explanation. Do you know why it doesn't work?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.