[MPlayer-users] suggestions for stopping mplayer and restarting where stopped

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 20:12:35 CEST 2005

Loren Merritt wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Jerry Geis wrote:
>>
>>> I am wanting to gracefully stop mplayer, then restart it at
>>> whatever position is stopped at.
>>> This can be for a dvd or jome mpeg clip.
>>>
>>> I have tried the -ss option and it does not seem to be the
>>> answer.. I have inquired about seeking to a byte position and
>>> that doesnt seem to be the answer..
>
> [...]
>
>> While you're at it, devise an algorithm - probably involving
>> brute-force inspection of all frames along the way - for
>> determining what frame in an MPEG file (and DVDs are considered
>> MPEG files in this respect) corresponds to a given time offset.
>> When you've done that, please announce it to the world (especially
>> if it does *not* involve brute force), because no such thing
>> appears to have been invented to date.
>>
>> All dryness aside: unfortunately, the capability you want requires
>> the ability to do two things which MPlayer cannot do. Many, many
>> people (myself included) would very much like to be able to do
>> those things, but the problems appear to be intractable.
>
> While -sb doesn't do exactly what he asks, a similar function could
> perform a stop/start without needing a full mapping of timestamp ->
> frame.

...I thought that -sb, like -ss, would merely go to the nearest keyframe
to the requested offset? And since there is no apparent way to
determine, having stopped mid-playback, what byte position you were at
before stopping anyway...

Eh. Looking at what I just wrote, it doesn't seem to have much meaning,
and I suspect that that's because I don't understand what you're trying
to say here.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.