[MPlayer-users] mplayer general control missing options - minimize and maximize automatically

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 17:20:43 CEST 2005

Please don't top-post.

Jerry Geis wrote:

> all,
>
> Perhaps I am not expressing the big picture...
>
> Take for instance I want to play an mpeg in full screen mode.
> Now I want to pause the first mpeg (since I cant stop it completely
> and restart it at the point it was stopped) minimize it, start
> another mpeg and play it in full screen mode.
> Then when that 2nd mpg is complete un-pause the first mpeg and have
> it maximize and start playing again.
>
> I want to do all this automatically through the -input
> file=/tmp/fifo.
>
> I dont care if the minimize/maximize icons are on the screen as I
> wish to do all this automatically from the fifo.

The problem here is that "minimize" and "maximize" are not things done
by MPlayer, but things done by your window manager. Unless there is some
sort of standardized interface supported by most/all window managers out
there, there is no way for MPlayer to tell the window manager to do
either one, and therefore no way to get it done by sending the commands
to your FIFO.

The "minimize" and "maximize" icons are not part of MPlayer, but are
added separately by your window manager; that's why they look the same
on every program which has them, just like the title bar and so forth.
The full-screen mode is not the same as "maximized", but is an entirely
different functionality which is done by MPlayer directly.

> Thanks for any suggestions in how to do this...

I'm fairly sure you can't, sorry. If you absolutely *must*, then the
only way I know of would be to hack MPlayer's source to allow it to
interface with whichever window manager you happen to use, and then use
your privately modified copy for this purpose.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.