[MPlayer-users] Issues using rebuild of 1.0pre7 w/ Unichrome XvMC

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:29:11 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 10/9/05, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
> Ivor Hewitt wrote:

> >>What patch?  How do you mean?  The only change I made was to
> >>the .spec file itself:
> >>

> >http://myth.ivor.org/unichrome/mplayer-uni-20050926.diff

> >>I had to restart the build because the directory was blown away...
> >>
> >>But, when I do:
> >>
> >>% ldd /usr/bin/mplayer
> >>        libXvMC.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXvMC.so.1 (0x0000003b3b300000)
> >>        libXvMCW.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXvMCW.so.1
> >>(0x00002aaaaac96000) ...
> >>

> >Yeah sure, you've linked to the wrapper. But unless you've got mplayer patched
> >for unichrome and configure detects the correct unichrome headers/library
> >then it won't work.
> >

> Ok... So... I noticed the patch doesn't change the auto-detection of
> xvmc, so it will still default to disabled, even if all of the headers and
> libraries are present.
>
> Do I want to build it with --enable-xvmc --enable-xvmcvld then? It
> looks like it will auto-detect the wrapper at least. Hmm. Would be
> nice if it auto-detected everything. Perhaps in the future.
>
> And when do you want the "Pro" versions of the XvMC drivers in
> your /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file versus the regular version? Which
> chipsets? Ah, got it... Found an email from Fred saying that the
> KN800 and PM8x0 use the PRO, all else use the regular one...
>
> One suggestion about the patch... I would have it check for the
> presence of /etc/X11/XvMCConfig during "make install", and if it
> doesn't find it, print out a reminder message to create it.
>
> Dominik: Can this patch be merged into the Mplayer CVS tree?

Technically, yes. it's only a matter of running "cvs commit foo". ;-)

One problem is that none of the dev have any hardware to test the
patch (though I'm fairly confident it does work); the other problem is
that the way the patch is written doesn't quite please the ppl who are
in charge of that part of MPlayer, which means that the patch would
need to be re-written, which is very time consuming and is not likely
to happen until pigs learn to fly (or that chicken grow teeth).

Guilaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!
  -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski