[MPlayer-users] .ASX files

Ergzay ergzay at everyoneproductions.com
Wed Oct 12 06:12:14 CEST 2005

On 2005/10/10, at 18:52, Larry wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 12:25:09AM +0200, Sebastian Kr?mer wrote:
>> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 00:17, Larry wrote:
>>> Is there anyway to get mplayer to play windows .asx files?
>>> These are the files with the link within the text file.
>>>
>>> I know I can get the link out of them and use that with mplayer
>>> but this is for my wife when she is online and she has to be
>>> able to play the file as is.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to do this?
>>
>> Afaik, .asx files are playlist. Let your wife try `mplayer -playlist
>> <file>`.
>>
>> Sebastian
>>

> Didn't work.
>
> Thanks

Or (to add on to my previous post), the .asx file is corrupt, or the
file the .asx file links to is corrupt, or mplayer can't play that
format of windows media. A possible way to find out if it is corrupt or
if mplayer can play it is to try to dump the file using `mplayer
-dumpstream -playlist file.asx` and it will dump it to a file in
whatever the default directory is for your system. (mplayer will go
unresponsive for a bit until the file finishes but it is dumping it so
don't worry)

Ergzay