[MPlayer-users] mplayer cannot play this internet TV stream

Thorgal Aegirsson d_werdan at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 12:46:16 CEST 2005

Hi Larry,

Yes, I tried the mplayer plugin, xine plugin,
kaffeine, vlc, etc. I have a good experience with
linux video players playing windows stuff. But as I
said, this one is tricky because the stream startup
(and startup only) is only relevant for native
quicktime players, if I understood the streamtv team.
But actually, I had a semi-success on linux with
mp4player (or gmp4player) by typing the following in a
unix shell :

mp4player rstp://www.optimalstream.net/video/<channel
name> (e.g. bbcw for BBC world, dce for Discovery
Channel, etc). This does not work with mplayer or xine
or vlc.

But I say semi-success because the mp4player interface
sucks, and full screen does not keep the aspect ratio.

But at least, that's a way to avoid windoze. The other
thing is that _IF_ you subscribe for more than 3
months to streamTV, they can give you on demand the
direct secret path (rstp path) that mplayer could use.
I told them that this is a bit ridiculous and pressed
them to work on a proper fix for linux players.

but thanks for your help. I won't spend more time on
it since it will eventually be fixed and I can do with
a temporary solution (one of their developers fully
endorse linux, it's just a matter of time :)

T.